Fire Safety Personnel Rates in Los Angeles and Ventura County
January 26, 2017
Revised August 17, 2017
Please see below for current rates for Los Angeles County and Ventura County Fire Safety Personnel, including recent and upcoming rate changes.
Los Angeles County
Fire Safety Advisors (FSA):
- For the first eight hours: Prior rate of $50.66 per hour increased to $51.67 per hour as of July 1, 2017 (four hour minimum).
- Eight to 12 hours (1.5X): Prior rate of $75.99 per hour increased to $77.51 per hour as of July 1, 2017.
- After 12 hours (2X): Prior rate of $101.32 per hour increased to $103.34 per hour as of July 1, 2017.
The Los Angeles County Fire Department (LACoFD) has provided a few reminders regarding working conditions for FSAs:
- All job assignments are for a minimum of four hours per day; time-and-one-half applies after an eight-hour day and double-time is received for jobs that last twelve hours or longer. Daily general overtime provisions apply as specified by State law.
- Hours worked shall be continuous from call-time to wrap. There are to be no split shifts and no deductions for meal times.
- The production company is responsible to pay the FSA the four-hour minimum rate when assigned to a production. To cancel the FSA request, the production company must notify the FSA Dispatch Cent, at 562.806.5585, that the FSA is no longer needed by 12:00 p.m., one business day prior to the end of production.
- The production company is responsible for providing meals to the FSA at no cost.
- FSAs are former employees of the LACoFD and are not covered by the Department’s Worker’s Compensation Insurance.
Fire Safety Officers (FSO):
- Prior rate of $163.13 per hour increased to $166.24 per hour as of Aug. 1, 2017. (Four hour minimum.)
Uniformed Los Angeles County Fire Safety Officers (UFSO):
- Prior rate of $75.00 per hour increased to $85.00 per hour as of Aug. 16, 2017. (Four hour minimum.)
Additional Los Angeles County Fire Department fees that will remain unchanged until 2020:
- LA County Fire Review Fee (Film): $282.00
- LA County Special Effects Permit Fee: $288.00
- LA County Fire Review Fee (Still Photography): $277.00
- LA County Fuel Truck Fee: Will be reduced from $223.00 to $208.00 as of February 1st 2017.
Ventura County Uniformed Fire Safety Officers (UFSO)*:
- The first eight hours: $48.00 per hour. (Eight hour minimum.)
- Eight to 12 hours: Time and a half
- After 12 hours: Double time
Film Review fees:
- Fire Department Film Review Fee for Filming: $216.00
- Still Photography Review Fee: $144.00
Fire code permit fees**:
- Tents 401 to 1600 sq. ft.: $216.00
- Tents greater than 1600 sq. ft.: $360.00
- Pyrotechnics (explosives, squibs, open flame): $252.00
- Refueling Unit: $144.00
*Ventura County Fire Department provides only UFSOs and not FSOs or FSAs.
**All of the following may require an FSO at the production site or base camp area.
For further information, please contact LaborCompliance@castandcrew.com.
The proceeding information is provided for informational purposes only, should not be construed as or relied upon as legal advice and is subject to change without notice. If you have questions concerning particular situations, specific payroll administration or labor relations issues, please contact your counsel.